2013 Sage Knowledge eBook Collection
I'm reposting this recent entry in Library News by Lauris Olson, Penn Libraries' Social Sciences Collections Coordinator. Notice his shoutout to our own Paul Messaris, author of the very popular (according to circulation data) Visual Persuasion.
With the recent purchase of the 2013 SAGE Knowledge Complete Collection, the Penn Libraries have made a major e-book collection purchase to support instruction and research in the social sciences and beyond.
SAGE Knowledge brings more than 2,700 SAGE eBooks, eHandbooks, and eReference works to Penn readers - the complete SAGE Knowledge collection from its beginning through its 2013 releases. Subject areas covered by the collection include Education, Business and Management, Sociology, Media and Communication, Counseling and Psychotherapy, Health and Social Care, Psychology, Politics and International Relations, Criminology, and Geography.
SAGE publications are very popular among Penn readers. Among the 1,372 SAGE Knowledge titles we own in print, 147 titles may be found in Penn Libraries course-reserve or reference locations. Several titles have been often-borrowed:
Other print titles represented in the SAGE Knowledge collection have been frequently borrowed through BorrowDirect, including:
- Visual Persuasion: the Role of Images in Advertising / Paul Messaris. (1997) 195 times borrowed.
- Economic Development Finance / Karl F Seidman. (2005) 131 times borrowed.
- Public Communication Campaigns / Ronald E. Rice, Charles K. Atkin, editors. (2001, 3rd ed) 70 times borrowed.
- Questions of Cultural Identity / edited by Stuart Hall and Paul du Gay. (2011) 68 times borrowed.
- Consensus building handbook: a Comprehensive Guide to Reaching Agreement / editors, Lawrence Susskind, Sarah McKearnan, Jennifer Thomas-Larmer. (1999) 63 times borrowed.
A particular strength of SAGE Knowledge reflects the press's emphasis on methodology, reflected in these works:
- Handbook of Material Culture / Christopher Tilley et al., eds. (2006) 4 times requested in 2012.
- SAGE Handbook of Organizational Institutionalism / Royston Greenwood et al., eds. (2008) 3 times requested in 2012.
- Knowing Capitalism / Nigel Thrift. (2005) 3 times requested in 2012.
The list of award-winning works (from CHOICE, Library Journal, ALA, etc.) demonstrates the breadth of the SAGE Knowledge collection:
The SAGE Knowledge platform delivers fulltext in chapter-level HTML and PDF formats, with stable URLs for individual chapters. We expect to add to Franklin, the Penn Libraries catalog, individual titles in this collection soon. We are considering ways in which we may continue to build our SAGE Knowledge holdings through future acquisitions. Please contact us for additional information regarding the Penn Libraries' new SAGE Knowledge collection.
- 21st Century Economics: A Reference Handbook (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Consumption and Waste: The Social Science of Garbage (2012)
- Encyclopedia of Counseling: Changes and Challenges for Counseling in the 21st Century (2008)
- Encyclopedia of Curriculum Studies (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Death and the Human Experience (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Diversity in Education (2012)
- Encyclopedia of Education Law (2008)
- Encyclopedia of Educational Reform and Dissent (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Gender and Society (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Geography (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Giftedness, Creativity, and Talent (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Global Studies (2012)
- Encyclopedia of Group Processes & Intergroup Relations (2010)
- The Encyclopedia of Housing (2nd ed, 2012)
- Encyclopedia of Human Relationships (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Identity (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Journalism (2009)
- Encyclopedia of New Venture Management (2012)
- Encyclopedia of Play in Today's Society (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Political Theory (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Science and Technology Communication (2010)
- Encyclopedia of Social Networks (2011)
- Encyclopedia of Sports Management and Marketing (2011)
- Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine (2011)
- Encyclopedia of Substance Abuse Prevention, Treatment, & Recovery (2009)
- Encyclopedia of Trauma: An Interdisciplinary Guide (2012)
- Handbook of Theories of Social Psychology (2012). Volume 1 and Volume 2
- International Encyclopedia of Political Science (2011)
- Leadership in Nonprofit Organizations: A Reference Handbook (2010)
- The Pen and the Sword: Press, War, and Terror in the 21st Century / Calvin Exoo (2010)
- The SAGE Handbook of Comparative Politics (2009)
The Social History of Crime and Punishment in America: An Encylopedia (2012)